Monday, July 21, 2008

Jessica Simpson Booed at Country Thunder USA Festival

Jessica SimpsonJessica Simpson's first country concert performance didn't sit well with fans at the Country Thunder USA Festival in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin.

The singer, Clad in Daisy Dukes, a white button-down and cowboy boots, Simpson was booed as she walked onto the stage after a performance by "American Idol" finalist Kellie Pickler.

Jessica Simpson"I don't know what your perception is of Jessica Simpson or what tabloid you buy, but I just want you to know that I'm just a girl from Texas," Simpson told the crowd. "I'm just like you. I'm doing what I love and dating a boy."

Jessica dedicated the tune "You're My Sunday" to Tony Romo who Jessica Simpson is dating - Tony Romo is Wisconsin native - he was in the audience, Simpson performed country covers including Willie Nelson's On the Road Again and Shania Twain's Who's Bed Have Your Boots Been Under? as well as songs from her new album "Do You Know."

Jessica SimpsonJessica Simpson's first country concert was met with mixed reactions, the crowd welcomed Simpson with a mixture of boos and cheers Saturday night. "Just because she's dating Tony Romo it doesn't make her country," one of the audience said to the local paper "She doesn't fit in with country, and I'll have to drink a lot of beer to sit through her concert." Added another "She's an embarrassment to country music," But there were a few supporters in the crowd "I actually like her country songs better. She has a great voice, plus, she's adorable," said another one.

Simpson announced earlier this year 2008 her plans to release a country album despite making a name for herself as a pop star. But the singer failed to impress the crowds when she debuted her new material.

Simpson's first country album, Do You Know? is not due until Sept. 9; however, her country single "Come On Over." was released this summer.

Jessica SimpsonEarlier the Nashville Star judge offered an advice to Simpson, in PEOPLE magazine “I really like Jessica. She’s always been such a sweet, sweet person,” Jewel told PEOPLE. “If I were going to give her any advice, I would say work hard and be authentic. Be true to who you are.” If she does that, Jewel said, country fans will continue to embrace her.

No comments: