Thursday, July 10, 2008

Miss Washington Elyse Umemoto Embarrassed

Miss Washington Elyse UmemotoMiss Washington 2007 Elyse Umemoto has apologized for her photos made public at TMZ.com.
Crude pictures of Miss Washington released on the internet in embarrassing poses, getting her Beer Pong on and making suggestive oral sex gang signs.

Umemoto, 23, a proud Yakama Tribal member, is the first Miss Washington of Native American decent.

"The concepts of embracing diversity and empowering women are so important because I think they're so universal. Those are elements of society that everybody can benefit from." said Umemoto.

Miss Washington 2007 Elyse UmemotoIn Las Vegas on January 26th at the 2008 Miss America pageant, she was second runner up. Umemoto says she would not have made it that far if it wasn't for her background on the Yakama Reservation.

"I have so much history and there is such a legacy from my native heritage...and I attribute so much of who I am, and the fact that I think social causes are so important to my family and my upbringing on the reservation." said Umemoto.

In a press conference, The Wapato native stated that the pictures were stolen and police have been contacted. She says the pictures were taken before she was crowned Miss Washington in 2007.

According to Umemoto, the photographs were snapped in a private setting and that her trust was violated. She also added "I was just clowning around" when the pictures were taken.

Mike Miller, Miss Washington Scholarship Organization's field director, says Umemoto will not face disciplinary action for the photos. A new Miss Washington will be chosen this weekend.

No comments: